Thursday, July 24, 2014

TESTIFYING + SELF-STYLING

Elder Eli is living the life and learning the ropes. And he’s cutting his own hair. We’re sending extra love and prayers this week.

July 14, 2014 
Hello loved ones!

This was a good week. The area of Red Deer is good and it seems ripe, but we’ve had a hard time finding people who are willing to actually keep commitments and experiment with the Gospel. We really want to be working with the ward in getting investigators, but it’s been a little bit difficult to coordinate our efforts with the ward council and others. There’s no magic equation for missionary-ing, so finding out how people tick and how to get them to tick in the direction of sharing the Gospel can be difficult sometimes. So naturally, since the most solid investigators come from members and we’re having a hard time getting members on board, our teaching pool is lacking. But, we’re committed to finding and sharing with those we meet, so we’re still doing our best to touch lives and invite others to come unto Christ.

I had an interesting experience just yesterday. When members feed us suppers we always share a message at the end. We were eating supper with a family that is somewhat divided when it comes to activity in the church. All eight of the kids are out of the house. Both parents are active, as are the four oldest children. The younger four, however, have drifted from the church. Naturally, it’s a cause of distress to the parents, and our conversation with the parents usually finds its way to that topic. We’re counseled in Preach My Gospel to share the lessons and doctrine of the Restoration with members, so that’s what we did for our lesson with this family. We shared Lesson One with them. I don’t know how many times I’ve shared, practiced, or studied this lesson, but for some reason, this one in particular was especially powerful. I kept feeling the Spirit testify to me of the truthfulness and import of the message. I didn’t teach it any better or consciously do anything different, but I was still struck by the beauty, logic and power of the Restoration. I’m grateful for that experience, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to share this message with others.

Mom, your poor toe. [Ed. note: Berta kicked a chair and broke a toe.] Ouch! That looks severely painful. [Ed. note: We sent pictures.] It also looks severely inconvenient. Hang in there! Another thing I’m grateful for is that I don’t have to be involved in open house/party/social prep with an incapacitated mom. Tender mercies! Max and Dad, you hang in there too! Max, you’ve only got a little bit longer until we both get to hear about how Mom puts Dad to work, then how they get a new puppy, then how adopt a new baby, then how they both go kind of crazy. Aren’t we all so excited? [Ed. note: We are not all so excited.] I love how Mom was basically nonplussed by the whole thing until the boot and crutches came out. Gosh, that looks so painful. You’re a trooper, Berta.

Side note: I gave myself a haircut this week! They are expensive to pay for and I don’t like just trusting random members who do it for free. I figured the best way to save money and disappointment was just to do it myself! Well, I guess there is still room for disappointment, but at least if I end up looking ridiculous I only have myself to blame. But that’s not what happened! I’m actually quite proud of the result. You’ll see in the picture.
Before, we guess . . . ?

After.
(Odd that both smiles negate the years of braces...)
Thank you all for your love, support, prayers, emails and all-around goodness. It does a boy proud to have a family (extended included) like this. The Church is true, God loves each of us. I hope you all have a great week!

Keep the faith,
Elder Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment