Friday, January 23, 2015

BLAST 1* FROM THE PAST

*Blasts 2 & 3 to follow...)

Right to it:

January 5, 2015 
Hello friends and family!

This was a great week! Happy New Year! New Year’s Eve was a blast. Since we live with members we were able to go upstairs and enjoy the new year with them. They had some of their kids and grandkids over so it was quite a parade. We played games and had pizza and a good time was had by all. Sadly, the Oilers lost to the Calgary Flames in overtime that night, but that was the only downside I can remember. By the way, I’m totally a hockey fan now. I’m not sure why it’s not more popular in the States. The majority of teams in the NHL are from the States anyway! It’s so fun to watch. I can’t fathom that kind of talent. I’m going to subscribe to whatever channel plays hockey once I’m home. Part of me wants to be able to choose which team I support, but I realize that I am sort of obliged to be an Oilers fan. Too bad they’re garbage. That’s alright. They could be good in a few years. GO OILERS!

We had our Mission Leadership Council on Saturday. I love being able to get some more personal trainings from President Manion. I can honestly say that I haven’t disagreed with any decision he’s made. I trust that he’s called of God and that he really does love us and want what’s best for the mission. It was at this Council that we got trained on Facebook! I’m on Facebook officially. I cleaned it up so now it’s ready for missionary work! Very exciting. So weird being back on! My goodness, I’ve got a lot of engaged/married friends. Shocking! I guess that’s the way life goes! I’ve been out of the loop for 19 months. It’s really going to be great to see how this affects the work in the mission. Since Heavenly Father provided a way, I know that if we’ll all do what we’re supposed to, we’ll see miracles happen! It’s strictly a missionary tool for now, though, so I won’t be able to have social chats! Just wait five months, folks, we’ll be okay.

Five months! Can you believe it?! I can’t. Time is flying. I’m really trying to make the most of it. Something I’ve been studying is how to make a change last. I’ve wondered why we go through amazing spiritual experiences and then somehow the next week we seem to be back where we started. There’s a lot that goes into it, but apparently it takes effort to maintain a changed heart. Alma the Younger talks about it in the Book of Mormon. Remember his change of heart? He was called to repentance by an angel and struck down for three days. I always thought that Alma had it easy. To me, it was, “Well sure he was such an awesome missionary and prophet and human being, look at his conversion! I’d be that good if I was struck down by an angel too!” But apparently, that wasn’t the case. It wasn’t that easy. A changed heart requires maintenance. Alma outlines some ways to do that, but I’d like to refer you to a talk entitled “Preserving the Heart’s Mighty Change”. I just heard this talk yesterday in priesthood, and it was such a testimony to me of Heavenly Father’s love and care for each of us. He knew I was studying and looking for answers, and that was such a wonderful answer! It’s definitely contributed to my study and given me some more clarity on how to make change last. The church is true!

Matt is alright. We haven’t really progressed with him since last week. He’s hard to get a hold of. But he does want to change! Like we know, change requires work, but all things are possible through Christ! We’re looking for new investigators now, since our teaching pool is somewhat stagnant. If we do what we’re supposed to, Heavenly Father will provide a way! That applies to everyone, by the way, not just missionaries.

Thank you all for reading and writing! I’m going to be sharing thoughts and gospel tidbits on Facebook from now on, so don’t be afraid to share them so your friends can see! Facebook proselyting is only effective when the members are on board! I love each of you, even if we haven’t met. Heavenly Father loves you too, and a lot better than I do! Have a good week!

Keep the faith,
Elder Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment